Owner-occupied flat (Bostadsrätt)

This is normally an apartment that you buy, but it can also be a linked house or single-family house. It more correctly means that you purchase the right to live in the apartment or house. It also gives you the access and right to participate in decisions regarding the building’s facilities and the backyard. If you want to rent out your property, you need permission from your housing board.

This type of apartments or houses are much more expensive in the big cities. Due to the increasing demand for this type of home, prices have risen tremendously the past several years.

Once you own a Bostadsrätt, you must pay a monthly fee. It covers maintenance of the building and other related costs. However, this fee is normally much lower compared to the monthly fee you pay for renting an apartment.